26 August 2010

Bookworm Questionnaire

1. Favorite childhood book?
I didn't really read much as a child, but I remember particularly liking The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton, Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson, and The Giver by Lois Lowry.

2. What are you reading right now?
There are several books.  There is a large collection of Ray Bradbury stories that I'm reading whenever I run out of things to read.  Otherwise, I'm dividing my time between Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, The Last Colony by Johns Scalzi (not my choice, I left it in Madison last weekend), and Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Y: The Last Man vol. 5.  That is currently my only hold.

4. Bad book habit?
I'm guilty of looking ahead to see how many chapters are in a book.  Depending on how into the book I am, I'll read the first sentence of each chapter in backwards order until I get to my current spot in the book.  Horrible thing to do, really.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher, 2061: Odyssey Three by Arthur C. Clark, and Y: The Last Man vols. 3 and 4.  All are due to go back to the library shortly because all but Y were just sitting in my room.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
No.  I'm interested in renting one to try it out, but I haven't seen any services that do that yet.  I don't have an opinion until I try it out because I'm interested.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Ha.  Usually, it's one at a time.  But my current predicament is contradicting this statement.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No.  I still read when I can, write when I can.  Now I can write random things to the public.  Hello, Public.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Probably Mainstream by Jay Lake.  I couldn't finish it because I couldn't get a sense of story from the main character.  Couldn't establish myself in this strange clock-punk world.  We also had to read Robinson Crusoe for my British Literature before 1750 class.  

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Truthfully, my sense of time is askew.  The question asked "this year" and I could only think as far back as last May when summer started.  So I don't have an answer for you.  Instead, I'll just say Old Man's War by John Scalzi because I like the humor and the universe.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I guess not very often.  There was one time where a friend recommended a romance book because she thought I would like it.  I did, but I thought the sex was kind of pointless.  Hence why I don't read romance often.  And I guess Harry Dresden is a bit out of my comfort zone being a mystery.  Anything for school is a bit out of my comfort zone as well.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
If there's adventure and action with a science fiction twist, it'll tickle my fancy.  I'm also prone to reading about leading ladies in medieval-esque worlds such as Tamora Pierce's Tortall series and Kristin Cashore's Graceling.  If I'm the one that stumbled across it and found it intriguing, I'll consider it in my comfort zone.  And if I'm intrigued and hear good things about it, I'll also read it on my own too.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes and no.  When the bus is accelerating and going at a constant speed, yes.  When it's braking, no.  I don't usually read on the bus anyway.  Why read when I can people watch?

14. Favorite place to read?
The living room couch in my parents' house.  Also my papasan chair, my bed, and anyplace else that will allow me to recline and has good lighting.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
Please give it back at a reasonable time.  If you don't, I'll bug you forever and a day.  

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Only if I REALLY like a passage.  Otherwise, I'm totally against it.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Not yet.  I've been tempted to go back and edit a few grammar mistakes I've caught though.

18. Not even with text books?
I buy those pre-highlighted.  I'm sneaky like that.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
It is currently English because I can understand it.  But I would also like to read aloud French even though I can't understand it.  And I LOVE listening to Japanese.  I think it's such a beautiful language.

20. What makes you love a book?
I couldn't tell you.  I love American Gods by Neil Gaiman because of the subtle ways of storytelling, but I also love 2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clark.  Then there's the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.  I wanna say . . . characters.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
How awed I feel about it after reading it.  I satisfied I feel about it afterwards.  Whether I think a certain person will like it or not.  Something like that.

22. Favorite genre?
Adventure/science fiction

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you didn't?)
Steampunk.  Gotta read more of that some day.

24. Favorite biography?
I haven't read one of those out of Wikipedia since elementary school.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Maybe.  I have a I Hope You Dance book in my room that I re-read whenever I feel like it.

26. Favorite cookbook?
Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child only because I like the movie so much.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I can appreciate the art and intricacies of Paradise Lost (John Milton).  It takes a ton of not-thinking to do that.  I feel sorry for his daughters.  Furthermore, I enjoy the discussions and the arguments that can be made from this single epic.  I also like how the words are woven and how certain things are made to be eye-catching.  Despite all this awesomeness, I can't stand the damn thing.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  

28. Favorite reading snack?
Crunchy finger-snacks like popcorn or crackers or chips.  Anything that requires one hand to eat.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.


30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't read critics.  I find their views distort my views and I don't like that.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I prefer people didn't.  But if I'm so mad at a book that I have to publicly rat it out to strangers, it must be a pretty bad book.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Japanese.  It's so pretty.  And I'm a quiet fan of Japanese literature.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Paradise Lost by John Milton.  Seriously.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?


35. Favorite Poet?
Lee Young-Li.  We had to read one of his books in Creative Writing 300 last semester.  It was gorgeous.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
2-3 depending on what they are. A bit more if I'm reading a graphic novel in installments.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Once in a while.  It's more common than I think, I guess.

38. Favorite fictional character?


39. Favorite fictional villain?


40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Anthologies.  I'm also a quiet fan of anthologies.  They're short and simple and one sitting is all they need.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
I actually don't keep track of this.  I read when I read.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Mainstream by Jay Lake.  I think I mentioned this before.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
The television.  I don't like the TV being on when I'm reading in the same room.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
I don't pay attention to these.  I like judging a film by it's quality as a film and not as a book-turned-film.  I can write a whole blog post about this.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
See previous answer.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Maybe $30.  It could have been $50 when I was in high school.  

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I've never heard of people doing this until this questionnaire.  But it sounds like it ruins the book before you read.  Is that how critics read so they can take in more in one reading?

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Lack of connection, personal schedule, slow-moving developments, annoying characters, or any combination of these.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
They are currently in boxes sorted between "hardcover" and "softcover" and "manga and comics".  When I get them to my shelving unit in Madison, they will be organized by author's last name.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I prefer to rent them, myself.  Libraries are awesome.  But when I buy a book, I buy it for keeps or as a gift.  

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Obvious romance books.  Twilight (even though it's in aforementioned boxes).  

52. Name a book that made you angry.
Mainstream.  I keep coming back to that, don't I.  It was my most recent disappointment, that's why.  But there's this one part in there that I don't understand, and it's too gross to really write about here.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
In a small way, both American Gods by Neil Gaiman and 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clark I expected to not like.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Mainstream.  Seriously?  Clock-punk?  It's almost as intriguing as steampunk!  Also, Pendragon: the Quillan Games by D.J. MacHale.  I hated Bobby in that one.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Harry Potter and Ray Bradbury short stories.  They're my backups whenever I need something to read.  Also, the Immortals quartet by Tamora Pierce.  It's my favorite of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment with respect and good grammar.