23 September 2009

NaNoWriMo and Writer's Workshops

The Union started a writer's workshop that meets Mondays at 7p. It's called Working Title. My first meeting with them was last Monday, one week after the kick-off. It was a very welcoming atmosphere. We reviewed poems written by our own Sarah. I enjoyed those poems. They had depth, good symbolism, and interesting themes. One of the poems was about something none of us were familiar with, which I commend her for. "Write what you don't know," my high school creative writing teacher said once.

I plan on going back. They were a good group of people. And I liked their insight into the small things, which isn't usually taken with people who read your stories. "This is good," is the most annoying feedback you can get as a writer.

Speaking of writing, NaNoWriMo is November. I just made my account.
Username: Morike

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. More details can be found on their official site. Basically, the point is to get writers to write 50,000-plus words during the entire month of November. They even have tips on what to do when you finish. My November looks pretty promising at the moment, but we'll see how things go. I have a paper, a midterm, and a shot-by-shot movie analysis due that month. We'll see how this goes . . . .

Haven't gotten a chance to read much lately, besides TC's occasional short story. I may not review anything for a while, but stay tuned anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment with respect and good grammar.