05 September 2010

Hugos and Conventions


My congratulations to the 2010 Hugo Award winners.  I didn't really follow everything that got nominated, but I will definitely follow this in future years.

Got back from my first ever convention today!  Geek.kon is held in one of the first weekends in September in Madison, WI.  It was small-ish and it is close to where I live.  My friend talked with Chris Ayres about concept Shakespeare, how illegal fansubbing and bit-torrent downloading is destroying the anime industry, and marvel at Sheila the turtle who dressed as the turtle from the world of Terry Pratchett.  Seriously.  There was also a Victorian Tea Party which included a sabotage mystery not solved by me, Death Note mafia which is worth playing if you ever see it at a con (look for it in the Midwest), and a panel about the manly men of anime (in all its testosterone glory).  The con raised about $800 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association; $300 from the Masquerade Ball I attended and the rest from the charity silent auction.  I wanted to participate in Kon.Quest, but alas, I kept forgetting about it.  Here are some pictures of awesome costumes.

She called it the Dress of Doom.  It's very complicated.

No Face going to the Masquerade Ball

Dr. Horrible in the video game room

Ash and Pikachu chillaxing in the lobby.

Eric Vale and Chris Ayres at their Q&A Panel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment with respect and good grammar.