08 October 2011

PubCom Challenge

When I'm not doing schoolwork, I spend the majority of my time with the organization WUD Publications Committee, that which we call PubCom. WUD stands for Wisconsin Union Directorate and is pretty much the umbrella organization for all student programming in the Union, including the outdoor and recreation clubs, the movies shown at Union South, the programming for the Union Theater, the bands that perform on one of three stages, etc etc etc. PubCom spearheads the literary aspect of this with three online journals, a creative writing workshop, and four printed journals. It's a big group.

My own involvement includes leading two things: the creative writing workshop Working Title and the fiction blog UW Flash Fiction. In addition, I participate in weekly PubCom meetings and only recently signed up to help with a scary storytelling event for Halloween. It's a busy life, but I love it.

Last meeting, we were introduced to two programs that will help us students on a professional level. The first is a mentorship program that partners an interested PubCom member with a professional in the field they wish to go into, and it doesn't have to be in publishing. The second is a program that will help interested members build a professional portfolio. This second program is called the PubCom Challenge, which also suggests it's a bit of a competition. I will admit I suggested we have awards at the end of the school year for most professional, best design, most content, etc. Awards add to the "challenge" that comes with the name.

What does this mean for me and this blog? My plan is to use this already existing blog in my own professional portfolio. That means one of two things will happen to this site. The first is that it goes over such extreme renovations you won't even recognize it anymore. Well, you might, but there's the possibility that it won't be recognizable. The second is that it will be discarded altogether for me to start from scratch and create a new space for myself.

This is just a warning, so you readers know. If you suddenly see a tab with my resume/CV and another with things I've designed and yet another specifically for writing samples (both creative and professional), don't be alarmed. I'm a senior on the cusp of graduation, and something like this may or may not be helpful for my future career.

Speaking of careers, I have an interview with the senior editor at Tor Books on Monday. As in, an interview for an internship. An internship under the senior editor at Tor Books.

Life is a field of opportunities. If you look for the right ones, you will find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment with respect and good grammar.